2.15.2011

Lady Gaga, I mean Taylor Swift's, err, umm, a 5th Birthday

We had  a Birthday Party over the weekend. Well, truth be known, Birthday Parties, because that is how we roll here. Birthday's are serious business. Among many things that she is overjoyed with. 'How did they know this is what I dreamed for!?!?' ,someone got a serious coat, and some even more serious make up. Yeah, thanks for that. We have watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 no fewer than 27 times since Saturday in this get up. The deal is, normal clothes and clean face must be on by the time her dear father walks in the door in the evening. The Drag Queen look is only for those who can tolerate it without having heart palpitations. But why not share?



Lady Gaga, Kendall turned 5 on Sunday. Seriously, she really did. In some ways she has always been a grown up in a little body; Alert, curious, opinionated at birth. In many other ways she is my baby girl in a growing body, attentive, assertive, sensitive, cuddly at 5. I fought my body for her, I went hand in hand with God for her knowing that he would fill my heart, stuff full the longing to have a baby. I carried her for 9+ months, Andy and I looking at the belly, the ultrasound pictures, listening to her little heartbeat treating it like the finest of china, knowing it could break because it had in the past. But Kendall is a force to be reckoned with. The Lord put her in my belly, in my heart, in our arms knowing that we wanted her that much, knowing that this little girl needed us as much as we needed her. She paves a path for me, her Daddy, her brothers. Together, we go hand in hand as she grows, learns, becomes a little girl.


Gone is the chubby rings in the arms and legs, and left behind is long skinny limbs. The rosy plump cheeks now thinning becoming a lady, sprinkled with more and more freckles.Her hair is still frantic, but she wants it as long as Rapunzel's.



She likes to march to the beat of her own drum, but you are welcome in her parade at any time. She is strong willed, independent, imaginative.She likes to play in the snow in a tulle skirt. She likes to wrestle her Daddy and tell him not to smudge her newly applied nail polish. She dreams she is a dancer, ice skater, mama, waitress, princess, movie star, Taylor Swift.


Dream Bigger Baby, it's
all yours for the taking.



I could sit and cry to anyone that would listen about how quickly the time goes. I was just holding her little body in my arms, she made me a mama. I am forever grateful to her and her Daddy for that. I tell her often that, this is it, no older then 5, she must stay 5 forever. She squeezes me and tells me sadly no, but that she will visit often, celebrate her birthdays with me forever. And as much as I want her to stay little, I cannot wait to see what she becomes. But can we just slow the clock down a little bit?

'Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight.
Your little eyelids flutter 'cause you're dreaming,

So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light.

To you, everything's funny,
You got nothing to regret.
I'd give all I have, honey,

If you could stay like that.
Won't let no one break your heart.
No, no one will desert you,
Just try to never grow up, never grow up.

You're in the car on the way to the movies
And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off
At 14, there's just so much you can't do
And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots

But don't make her drop you off around the block
Remember that she's getting older, too
And don't lose the way that you dance around
In your PJs getting ready for school

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

No one's ever burned you
Nothing's ever left you scarred
And even though you want to
Just try to never grow up

Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all your little brother's favorite songs

I just realized everything I have
Is someday gonna be gone

So here I am in my new apartment
In a big city, they just dropped me off
It's so much colder than I thought it would be
So I tuck myself in and turn my night light on

Wish I'd never grown up
I wish I'd never grown up

Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
Could still be little
Oh, I don't wanna grow up, wish I'd never grown up
It could still be simple


Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

Don't you ever grow up
(Never grow up)
Just never grow up


~ 'Never Grow Up,' Taylor Swift (but of course)


*All photos taken by request from resident 5 year old. ('Mommy, I am going to go and get ready for you to take my pictures for my cd cover, cause I am Taylor Swift, alright?') The resemblance is uncanny.

1 comment:

  1. "...listening to her little heartbeat treating it like the finest of china, knowing it could break because it had in the past."

    yes, yes, and YES. Where have you been all my life?

    ReplyDelete